We are experiencing an increasing number of reports of telephone calls from 0333 and 02895 numbers claiming to be from the Amazon Review Team. The caller then asks for your mobile number to send a verification code. The code then arrives with a link to log-in. Unsurprisingly the link is not to the real Amazon website and the whole scam is just to get your log-in details and access to your account. The fraudsters can then order whatever they like at your expense as well as playing havoc with your personal details. According to Norton 1 in 3 UK adults were victims of cyber-crime last year.
AMAZON WILL NEVER ASK YOU FOR YOUR MOBILE NUMBER, IF SOMEONE DOES END THE CALL!
Tips and Advice
- Unexpected Call? – Be very suspicious! Always contact Amazon using their number 0800 279 7234 to ask if there really an issue is
- Who to? – Only take calls personally addressed to you seriously. Any caller who does not know your name should be ignored
- Time pressure? – Fraudsters commonly use time pressure as a tactic to push you into making the wrong decision, if someone starts doing this is often the sign of a scam
- Keep safe – Activate Two-Step Verification on your Amazon account. You do this by clicking on the “Your Account” area in the top right of the screen, then click on “Your Account”, then “Login & Security”, then “Advanced Security Settings Edit”, then “Get Started”
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are talking to
- Report it – to Amazon, click here
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- Still Unsure? – Call Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
For further information or for advice and assistance regarding any potential scam, call Reassura on 0800 888 6400