There is another outbreak of an Amazon phishing scam. Fraudsters are sending out fake Amazon emails to victims suggesting that there is a problem in the processing of their order and asking them to click on a link to log into their account. The link is not to the real Amazon site and simply gives the fraudsters your personal details and Amazon password. ActionFraud has had over 100 cases reported this month alone of this scam and given that research suggests only 1 in 20 cases is reported, this scam is big.
NEVER CLICK ON THE LINK IN AN EMAIL ASKING YOU TO LOG ON TO YOUR ACCOUNT- ALWAYS GO INDEPENDENTLY TO THE WEBSITE AND LOG ON IN THE NORMAL WAY TO FIND OUT IF THERE ARE ANY REAL ISSUES
Tips and Advice
- Dear customer? – Most scam emails are not addressed personally, so avoid any emails or texts which do not address you by name. However, it should be noted that increasingly fraudsters have, through data breaches, the ability to personalize emails so do not solely rely on this tactic
- Pay Safe – When you pay for any good or service over a £100 with a credit card you are protected by section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act from most fraud. This does not exist if you pay with a debit card or bank transfer. PayPal does have its own protection but is limited to 180 days and is not as all encompassing
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are sharing it with, and certainly not PIN numbers!
- Check – your statements regularly, if there any suspicious transactions act immediately and exactly follow this procedure:
- Report it – If you receive a fake Amazon email forward it to Amazon, using firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use theironline fraud reporting tool
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
Join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £18 a year for all the alerts and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors