Surely if your iPhone rings and your screen displays Apple’s number and logo it’s safe to talk to them? It isn’t. Many iPhone users are being scammed into giving passwords and personal data by fraudsters calling them and assuming because the logo etc appears that they are the real deal. Fraudsters are now able to do this by what is known as “caller ID spoofing”. Telemarketers and fraudsters can easily get their hands-on software which fools your phone into thinking that the caller ID is completely different to the reality. Although we know most cases of such scams go unreported ActionFraud did see over 34,000 reports in 2017 of similar scams with average loss of £600.
DON’T TRUST CALLER ID ON YOUR PHONE. JUST BECAUSE IT SAYS ITS A BUSINESS CALLING DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS
Tips and Advice
- Unexpected call? – If an organization such as Apple, your bank or the HMRC call you then ask for a name and department and then hang-up. Then use Google or equivalent and find the customer support number and call them to verify
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details.
- Keep safe – never give your Pin, passwords or banking codes to anyone requesting them.
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are talking to.
- Report it! – If you receive such a spoof call, report it to the organization that it purported to come from.
- Read more – this is a great article on this issue
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Call Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe.
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
For further information or for advice and assistance regarding any potential scam, call Reassura on 0800 888 6400