Don’t worry it’s not scary Icelandic fisherman that we need to worry about, just the usual fraudsters grabbing every opportunity to steal your personal information. Yes, criminals have jumped on the Brexit bandwagon and are spewing out emails to the unwary claiming to be from the Government asking for personal details due to “changes in personal data law” post Brexit. Clearly at Reassura we are not qualified to comment on the likelihood of Brexit, but we can tell you that regardless of if the UK leaves with or without a deal there will be no immediate changes to the UK’s data protection laws and as such no need to register for anything so related. Phishing, (online identity theft), is still growing APWG research show that the number of unique phishing sites rose 46% in 2018.
ONLY EVER CLICK ON AN ATTACHMENT IF YOU’RE EXPECTING THE EMAIL
Tips and Advice
- Sender? – Fraudsters are great at spoofing email addresses, so it might say its from gov.org.. but click on the address to see the full URL
- Who to? – Only take emails personally addressed to you seriously. Any email addressed Dear Client, Recipient etc should be ignored
- Time pressure? – Fraudsters commonly use time pressure as a tactic to push you into making the wrong decision, if someone starts doing this is often the sign of a scam
- Keep safe – Ensure that you have anti-virus protection, that it is up to date and switched on.
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are talking to
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- Still Unsure? – Call Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
For further information or for advice and assistance regarding any potential scam, call Reassura on 0800 888 6400