“You are eligible for an over payment refund of £439” is the good news! Unfortunately, the bad news is, (as many of you will already have guessed), is that the email isn’t from British Gas and if you click on the link to the fake login page you will simply be giving your confidential details to fraudsters who are then able to access your funds. This is the latest “refund” scam that we have seen based around the big utility providers but similar ones exist for EDF, E.On, Scottish Power and SSE. The fraudsters change of tack from emails threatening to cut your power unless you click to promising a refund if you click is something, we are seeing a lot in the last 6 months and is very eye catching and we must all remain wary. Research by Kaspersky show phishing attacks like this grew by more than 100% in 2018.
IGNORE ANY BRITISH GAS EMAIL HIGHLIGHTING YOUR REFUND, NEVER CLICK ON THE LINK
Tips and Advice
- Dear customer? – Most scam emails are not addressed personally, so avoid any emails or texts which do not address you by name. British Gas emails will always address you by name and will include your account number
- From who? – Who does it actually come from, click on the sender to check, its not fool proof but it catches a lot
- Don’t click! – Never click on any links or attachment, it is much safer to go separately to your British Gas account and see if there any action items!
- Don’t – be pressured into acting quickly, this is a ‘red flag’ and sign of a scam.
- Call them to check – British Gas customer service helpline is 0333 202 9802
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use their online fraud reporting tool
Never miss a Scam Alert – Sign-up here, it’s FREE