Card skimming is when criminals steal the information from your debit/credit card, this can be done by placing a cloning device in an ATM or simply by “reading” your contactless card by having a reader close to your it, disturbingly this can be while your card is in your pocket and they walk past you in the street.
We have spoken to several victims recently and this article out today shows how its sadly becoming more frequent again. In 2017, according to Financial Fraud Action, losses to contactless fraud overtook cheque fraud for the first time.
NEVER USE AN ATM WHICH LOOKS ODD/DIFFERENT AND CONSIDER GETTING A RFID BLOCKING CARD FOR YOUR PURSE/WALLET
Tips and Advice
- ATM looks different? – Don’t use it! A bulky, or a loose card slot or a spongy pin pad are particularly to be avoided
- Statements – Regularly check your bank and credit card statements for unknown transactions
- Anti-Skimming Devices – Consider buying an anti-skimming, RFID, card or wallet/purse
- Never out of sight! – Don’t let anyone take your card out of sight, there is no reason to do this anymore
- Read More – Read this great article in Love Money on staying safe
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
For further information or for advice and assistance regarding any potential scam, call Reassura on 0800 888 6400