Ever since the Census 2021 deadline back in March there have been a number of scams trying to piggyback on this important event. Recently we have received a lot of calls about text messages similar to the one pictured below. Clearly no-one wishes to be fined a £1000 but also no-one wants to share their private details with scammers. The Office of National Statistics have confirmed that you will never be contacted by text in relation to the Census.
NEVER CLICK ON A LINK, ALWAYS GO SEPARATELY TO THE GENUINE WEBSITE TO VERIFY
Tips and Advice
- Dear Who?–Unless An email or text is addressed to you personally it is very likely to be a fake
- Personal means private!– Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are sharing it with, and certainly not PIN numbers!
- Report it! – Forward scam text messages to 7726
- Contact –your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- ID Protection–If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud– and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use their online fraud reporting tool
Never miss a Scam Alert – Sign-up here, it’s FREE