The number of cases of contactless card fraud to Action Fraud more than doubled last year. Everyone enjoys the convenience of contactless cards, but many people are unaware of the dangers and how to avoid. The actual method of abusing these cards is normally either by physically stealing the card and doing as many £30 transactions as they can before the card is blocked or using sophisticated skimming devices. These devices literally record your cards details when close enough to your cards. How often this happens is quite controversial, but research has suggested that only 1 in 50 fraud crimes are reported and so if ActionFraud see a big increase we know the problem is becoming significant.
KEEP YOUR CARDS SAFE, DON’T BE DISTRACTED AT ATMS AND CONSIDER AN RFID CARD/WALLET.
Tips and Advice
- ATM looks different? – Don’t use it! A bulky, or a loose card slot or a spongy pin pad are particularly to be avoided
- Statements – Regularly check your bank and credit card statements for unknown transactions
- Anti-Skimming Devices – Consider buying an anti-skimming, RFID, card or wallet/purse
- Never out of sight! – Don’t let anyone take your card out of sight, there is no reason to do this anymore
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details.
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Call Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe.
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
For further information or for advice and assistance regarding any potential scam, call Reassura on 0800 888 6400