The latest Council Tax Scam is a very convincing email advising recipients that they are getting a Council Tax Reduction and as such are entitled to a refund, which will be transferred directly to your Debit/Credit Card, just click on the link……. The email is in a convincing Gov.UK format and is well presented, sadly it’s a fake. In 2018 the HMRC requested that over 10,000 fake websites connected to refunds be taken down.
ANY KIND OF REFUND, NEVER CLICK ON THE LINK, GOOGLE THE TELEPHONE NUMBER AND CALL
Tips and Advice
- Don’t Click – on any link in an email or text message, go independently to your account to see if any action is required
- Dear customer? – Most scam emails are not addressed personally, so avoid any emails or texts which do not address you by name
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are sharing it with, and certainly not PIN numbers!
- Report spam emails – Your email inbox will have a spam button, this is one of the main ways Outlook, Gmail etc. machine learn on how to block spammers
- Report spam texts – by forwarding it to 60699 to and they will respond with some questions for details
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 7726 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
Never miss a Scam Alert – Sign-up here, it’s FREE