There is a nasty largescale fake email campaign hitting our inboxes. The email looks like a UK government/HMRC email and brings the glad tidings of a NI contributions refund due to the pandemic. Just click on the link and give away all your private information, including bank account number etc! Admittedly, it is a confusing time as the Government launches scheme after scheme to kickstart the economy. However, this is a fake and needs to be avoided.
IGNORE ANY EMAIL NOT PERSONALLY ADDRESSED TO YOU
Tips and Advice
- Don’t Click! – If you receive an email asking you to log-in to update your account, NEVER use the link, always go independently to your account and see if any actions are required
- To Who? – Check if the email is addressed personally to you, if not it’s probably a scam!
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- Report it – to the National Cyber Security Centre using email address firstname.lastname@example.org
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisors will help you to stay safe
Never miss a Scam Alert – Sign-up here, it’s FREE