The good news is that vaccinations have started in the UK, the bad news is that authorities are anticipating this being a blockbuster event for fraudsters. Interpol, the International police organization have issued a warning at the prospect and in the UK, we are already seeing fake telephone call campaigns. The fake recorded messages encourage callers to press a button to receive their appointment time but result in a premium rate call. Interpol are worried about fake vaccines being circulated, largescale phishing campaigns and simple theft as fraudsters take payment details.
COVID VACINATIONS ARE NOT AVAILABLE PRIVATELY
Tips and Advice
- NHS ONLY– The only UK approved vaccine is made by Pfizer and they have committed to only selling to the NHS in the UK, so there are no genuine vaccines available outside of the NHS and as such none that are available privately
- Post and phone only – There is a strict order to who can be vaccinated first and the NHS will contact people by post or phone only, any emails, texts or WhatsApp need to be ignored
- Dear who? – Any communication from the NHS will be personally addressed to you, ignore any letters or phone calls where they do not call you by your name
- Read more – The NHS regularly update their website with information, click here to read
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisors will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use their online fraud reporting tool.
If you have found this article helpful please share it on Facebook or Twitter to help others stay safe from scams and fraud.
Never miss a Scam Alert – Sign-up here, it’s FREE