There are increasing reports of fraudsters scamming the eBay system and catching unwary sellers out. The fraud happens to the seller, for example you put your old iPhone up for sale, someone agrees to buy it for £400 and pays via PayPal. You send the phone to them, they then tell you that the phone is faulty and demand a refund. They then send an empty box to an address within the same postal area as you. If they can prove that the “box” was sent to your postal area PayPal will refund the money. Effectively what the fraudster is doing is exploiting the eBay buyer’s guarantee. At this point, the phone and the cash are both gone. To give you an idea of the size of the problem eBay have advertised that their new AI credit card fraud algorithm identifies 40% of all fraudulent transactions with high precision, that means it doesn’t identify 60%!
DOES YOUR BUYER HAVE A GOOD RATING- IF NOT ONLY SELL A HIGH PRICE ITEM IN PERSON IN A PUBLIC PLACE
Tips and Advice
- Spot the fake PayPal Account – Another eBay scam revolves around the seller receiving a fake payment received message from PayPal, always check your PayPal account to see if payment has been received.
- Proof of delivery – Another eBay scam works with the buyer at the last minute suggesting they collect in person. Days later the seller then receives an email saying the product has not been received, no proof exists, and so buyer is refunded. Therefore, if selling in person insist that the individual sign a letter acknowledging receipt of the product.
- Report it! – to eBay, click here
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe.
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use theironline fraud reporting tool.
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
Join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £18 a year for all the alerts and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors