Watch out for a fake Center Parcs Facebook post offering the chance to win a free holiday for liking/sharing their post. No-one ever wins, particularly as the posting has nothing to do with Center Parcs but is simply a “like/data” farming exercise by scammers. At the last count over 10,000 people has liked this post, that’s 10,000 people who the scammers can put whatever content like on their newsfeed going forward, similarly the scammers can sell that data to whoever they like. This page keeps being taken down and reappearing.
PROTECT YOUR DATA, ONLY LIKE/SHARE WHAT YOU KNOW TO BE 100%
Tips and Advice
- The real deal? – Check out their page in full, has it been up a long time? Are there many posts? Are there a lot of followers? This one only has 3 posts.
- Don’t – be pressured into acting quickly, this is a ‘red flag’ and sign of a scam.
- Review your privacy and security settings regularly. Ask yourself, who do you want to see your profile? Your friends? Anyone who wants to search for you? When you post status updates or pictures, who can see your posts? If it’s not everyone ‘everyone’, then you need to change it, Go to: Settings > Privacy (with the padlock icon) and choose who you want view your posts etc.
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are talking to.
- Don’t befriend people that you do not know, even if they are ‘friends of friends. You have the option to restrict messages, people, application invitations and events. Go to: Settings > Blocking
- Block. Don’t wait too long to block someone if they become intrusive asking you personal questions (address, date of birth etc..) or asking for money.
- Still unsure. Call Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our Fraud Advisor’s will support you to avoid being a victim of a social media Fraud.
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
For further information or for advice and assistance regarding any potential scam, call Reassura on 0800 888 6400