ActionFraud have had over 100 reports in the last month of a horrible new scam where parents receive a text message from an unknown number claiming to be from their child who says that they have been in a terrible accident, they are in hospital and need a pay as you go voucher to be able to communicate. Fraudsters love coming up with scams that prey on our deepest fears, have an urgency and are plausible. This scam sadly covers all three. This type of impersonation scam saw over £36 million of losses in 2018.
DON’T PANIC- IN THE EVENT A LOVED ONE BEING IN AN ACCIDENT, HOSPITAL STAFF WOULD CONTACT YOU AND SO THERE IS NO SITUATION WHERE THEY WOULD NEED MOBILE CREDIT
Tips and Advice
- Call your loved one –The first thing to do if you are worried is to get in contact with your loved one on their normal number
- How’s the grammar? – Fraudsters’ messages are certainly showing signs of better grammar but a lot of them are still quite poor and its an obvious sign of a fake, or has your child’s spelling and grammar suddenly improved, either way it’s a giveaway
- Report it – to ActionFraud and your mobile provider by forwarding the message to 7726, all operators use 7726 except Vodafone who use 87726
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – that you are a victim of, report it and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use theironline fraud reporting tool
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
Join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £18 a year for all the alerts and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors