Reassura has become aware of a nasty new twist on fake websites selling non-existent flights. The new scam gathers data from a website which purports to find the best deal for you after you enter your details. The fraudsters then use the data to call you with a great deal to the destination that they know you’re considering, this inside knowledge builds your trust and it’s very easy to hand over payment details. Travel fraud is growing, ActionFraud had over 100 cases a week in 2017 with average losses of more than £1500.
ONLY BOOK FLIGHTS WITH THE RIGHT PEOPLE- SEE BELOW HOW TO FIND THEM!
Tips and Advice
- Pay Safe – When you pay for any good or service over a £100 with a credit card you are protected by section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act from most fraud. This does not exist if you pay with a debit card or bank transfer. PayPal does have its own protection but is limited to 180 days and is not as all encompassing
- Who to buy from and how – When booking a flight only use ATOL members, click here to check their list. If booking a package holiday only use ABTA members, click here to check
- Spot the scam – If the deal looks too good to be true, it’s a scam.
- Time pressure? – Fraudsters commonly use time pressure as a tactic to push you into making the wrong decision, if someone starts doing this its often the sign of a scam
- Follow the crowd – Does the company selling have lots of reviews? If not be very cautious
- Read more! – Read the Reassura guide to Holiday Fraud
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are sharing it with
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use theironline fraud reporting tool
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
Join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £18 a year for all the alerts and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors