There is an outbreak of calls claiming to be from “Visa Fraud Department” alleging fraudulent transactions on your card. There are several different versions of the same scam currently doing the rounds which include an automated message asking you to press 1 etc and others with very professional sounding people suggesting that you have made a £600 purchase. All these scams are after the same thing, your private information and ultimately your money. In 2018 YouMail research found that over 3.4 billion scam automated/robocalls were made, that’s over 9 million calls every day!
IF YOU GET A CALL FROM VISA, HANG UP AND CALL THEM INDEPENDENTLY USING THE NUMBER ON THE BACK OF YOUR CARD
Tips and Advice
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are sharing it with, and certainly not PIN numbers!
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you are worried about having given out financial details
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use theironline fraud reporting tool
Never miss a Scam Alert – Sign-up here, it’s FREE