The tech support scam cold call has almost entered folklore as the scam we all get and like to laugh at, however, like so many scams it evolves and there is a new version which could catch many of us out. In this new evolution a fake Microsoft Support Page comes up in your browser, it looks like the real thing but then pop-ups appear asking for user authentication and another that directs users to call a number for technical support. At this point you have entered a loop and pressing the OK and Close button leads to the same pop-ups recurring. Trend Micro have recorded up to 600 visits a day to the URLs associated with this scam and its only just beginning!
DO NOT CALL THE TECH SUPPORT NUMBER AND DEFINITELY DO NOT GIVE THEM REMOTE ACCESS TO YOUR PC
Tips and Advice
- How do I unfreeze my browser? – Simply open your Task Manager, Press Ctrl, Alt & Delete simultaneously, click on Task Manager, click on Processes, find your browser, right click on it and End Process
- Stay Protected – It is unclear at this stage how this is spreading but is likely to be embedded in adverts/downloads. Make sure you have up to date anti-virus protection and that it is switched on! It is always a good idea to run a full scan after such an episode
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are sharing it with, some social media scams are simply looking for your data
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use theironline fraud reporting tool
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
Join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £24 a year for all the alerts and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors