Winter is coming! Especially if you don’t have Sky or HBO and have been streaming Game of Thrones. Millions of people are watching the series through free, but illegal, streaming services on the internet and although they may save on paying for Sky the malicious software being spread by these downloads is stealing personal login information, credit card details and infecting devices with unwanted pop-up. Research by Kaspersky has found that Game of Thrones illegal downloads represented 17% of all infected pirated content.
ONLY STREAM FROM LEGAL SOURCES
Tips and Advice
- Don’t stream illegally – Not just because it’s illegal but also because its unregulated and you are giving criminals full access to your devices
- Is Kodi safe? – Devices such as Kodi are still very risky as the illegal apps for streaming are “stuffed with malware”
- Keep safe – Ensure that you have anti-virus protection, that it is up to date and switched on. If you do get malware on your device update your security software and run a scan. We also recommend using Malwarebytes as an added layer of security
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you have to, the first phase of fraudsters attack from streaming is by getting you to fill in online forms to steal your personal information
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- Still Unsure? – Call Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
Join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £24 a year for all the alerts and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors