The 25th May 2018 was a memorable day for many of us that had to get our businesses ready to be GDPR compliant. What that actually meant and all those policies which solicitors sold templates for was at best pretty confusing and technical. Skip to 6 months later and there are several scam emails circulating informing people that their business is non-GDPR compliant and subject to sanction from the ICO, (The Information Commissioner’s Office).
The ICO recently fined Facebook £500,000 so it’s not a body to trifle with. However, this is just another phishing scam where “offenders” are directed to a site to register and efficiently handover lots of personal details. To give an idea of just how many of these types of sites exist in the 6 months running from April to September of this year the HMRC requested that 7,500 phishing sites be deactivated.
IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL FROM THE ICO, AND YOU THINK ITS GENUINE CALL THEM ON THEIR HELPLINE 0303 123 1113, DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINK
Tips and Advice
- Never Click – on any link in an email that you are not 100% sure is genuine, always go independently to their website and log in to execute any action.
- Don’t reply – to any message that you are suspicious of.
- Don’t – be pressured into acting quickly, this is a ‘red flag’ and sign of a scam.
- Keep safe – never give your Pin, passwords or banking codes to anyone requesting them.
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are talking to.
- Report it! – If you receive such a message report it to the ICO by emailing email@example.com
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details.
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Call Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe.
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
For further information or for advice and assistance regarding any potential scam, call Reassura on 0800 888 6400