The smart guys at Eleven Paths Cyber Security Unit have identified a nasty phishing attack. Fraudsters have infected certain websites so that when you go into them you get a message telling you that you need it install Flash reader and clicking on this this takes you to the real chrome web store. Unfortunately, “Reader Flash” also has malware in it that once installed in your PC records any credit card numbers that you enter into any forms and sends them to the hackers. Phishing is part of the cybercrimes that Norton research says effects 1 in 3 UK adults every year.
DO NOT INSTALL READER FLASH IF ASKED BY YOUR PC
Tips and Advice
- Spot the scam – avoid clicking on ANY. Unless you are 100% sure its genuine. Fraudsters are professional phishers!
- Protect yourself – Make sure your anti-virus software is switched on and up to date
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are talking to
- Report it! – to Google, click here
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use theironline fraud reporting tool.
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
Join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £18 a year for all the alerts and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors