This week several of our team have received a shared post from Facebook friends warning them of the danger of returning a missed call from various foreign countries as it would lead to a big phone bill and that the fraudsters could copy your contact list, credit card and bank details. Scary stuff! There is some truth in the post but not a lot! The one ring scam is a real thing it even has a name, “The Wangiri call”, where your mobile rings once, you return the missed call and you get a nasty phone bill, sometimes as much as £15 for the call.
However, the ability to access your contact list and personal details is nonsense. This viral post has appeared before and like most posts recommending passing on to all friends etc Reassura suggests that you don’t, there is no point spreading fear unnecessarily and they are often part of data harvesting scams.
DO NOT CALL BACK ANY MISSED CALLS FROM FOREIGN COUNTRIES UNLESS YOU KNOW THE CALLER. IF THEY REALLY WANT YOU, THEY WILL EITHER CALL BACK OR LEAVE A VOICEMAIL
Tips and Advice
- Don’t Call Back – a number that you don’t know, if they really need you, they will call back or leave a message
- Don’t reply – to any message that you are suspicious of
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are talking to
- Report it! – All the UK mobile network providers have the same number to text to report a nuisance call. So, text CALL to 7726 and they will reply with questions to help
- Refund? – Some operators such as Vodafone refund charges from Wangiri calls, so it’s worth asking the customer services of your provider if you are caught out
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use theironline fraud reporting tool.
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
Join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £18 a year for all the alerts and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors