We have had reports of an old scam reappearing. Unsuspecting victims check in to a bona fide hotel and then when they go up to their room the phone in the room rings. A very polite voice apologises for calling but it’s the front desk and there has been a problem with your credit card, can they just take the details again. Unfortunately, it’s not the front desk it’s just fraudsters getting unfettered access to credit cards. There are over a billion pounds lost to fraud in the hotel industry every year. Please share this alert to help keep your friends and relatives safe.
NEVER GIVE YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS TO ANYONE UNLESS YOU ARE 100% SURE THAT THEY ARE LEGITIMATE
Tips and Advice
- Dear who? – If the caller avoids using your name it’s a sure sign that it’s a scam
- Pay Safe – When you pay for any good or service over a £100 with a credit card you are protected by section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act from most fraud. This does not exist if you pay with a debit card or bank transfer.
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are sharing it with, and certainly not PIN numbers!
- Check – your statements regularly, if there any suspicious transactions act
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use theironline fraud reporting tool
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
Join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £24 a year for all the alerts and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors