There is an outbreak of calls claiming to be from recruitment consultants who have identified the recipient as the ideal candidate for a job and requesting an interview. All the candidate must do is enter all their personal details on a “candidate website”, (including bank details), so that salary can be paid etc. The fraudsters then use these details to apply for loans in the victim’s name without their knowledge, when the money arrives the scammers call to say that a salary payment has been made by mistake and could they send the money to their account. Research by SAFERjobs shows a 300% rise in recruitment fraud in the last two years.
NEVER GIVE YOUR BANK DETAILS TO A RECRUITER ONLY EVER DIRECT TO YOUR EMPLOYER
Tips and Advice
- Research – the employer in detail
- Be wary – if all parts of the application process are online
- Use a reputable – recruitment firm that is a member of the REC, ASPCO or Team
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are sharing it with, and certainly not bank account numbers!
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you are worried about having given out financial details
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use their online fraud reporting tool
Never miss a Scam Alert – Sign-up here, it’s FREE