Scam apps have been found in the Apple App Store. Historically apps from the App Store have been considered safe and verified but some are getting through the net. The ones found so far, such as Fitness Balance, which has been removed, would read your heart rate through your fingerprint, curiously enough your fingerprint is also how you approve in app purchases, the scam app took up to £100 a time from victims. This is just another reminder to be vigilant at all times even if the “store” is a trusted one such as the Apple App Store.
ONLY DOWNLOAD APPS FROM THE APP STORE BUT MAINTAIN VIGILANCE
Tips and Advice
- Only App Store – for iPhone users stick to the App Store for Apps, it’s not perfect but it’s a great first line of defence.
- Follow the crowd – Stick to popular well reviewed apps.
- Keep safe – never give your Pin, passwords or banking codes to anyone requesting them.
- Pay safe – If you must give payment details, use a credit card and be wary of authorising using your fingerprint.
- Report it! – if you have a problem or suspicion about an App contact Apple via this link.
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details.
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Call Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe.
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
For further information or for advice and assistance regarding any potential scam, call Reassura on 0800 888 6400