So you’re out, your battery is dying and you really need a charge, thank goodness for that coffee shop or airport providing a USB port to charge from, STOP DON’T, fraudsters have started breaching unsecured charging kiosks and installing malware that downloads data from your device, note USB connectors have 5 pins and only 1 is for charging! Similarly, there have been cases where public USB charging points have downloaded malware onto devices, and which then sends personal data to the criminals.
NEVER USE PUBLIC USB CHARGE POINTS
Tips and Advice
- Plug sockets good, – USB bad! Old fashioned sockets are fine as no data transfer can take place
- External batteries – wireless charging stations and power banks are all okay
- USB condoms! – Or data-blockers, exist, they are a small plug which connects to your USB and blocks any data transmission and are available quite cheaply from Amazon.
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you are worried that you have given out financial details
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Call Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisors will help you to stay safe
Never miss a Scam Alert – Sign-up here, it’s FREE