Sometimes we get a lot of calls about the same scam and we know that we have to highlight it, however when I have personally received 3 versions of the same scam in a single week, then we know it has gone viral. I have been sent fake texts from both Lloyds Bank and HSBC, both look very similar to the genuine messages I get from my bank, but they are just fraudsters trying to steal your bank login details, there is a link to click on which takes you to a good fake of the Lloyds Bank login. Once entered the fraudsters have free access to your funds! Last year £153 million was lost to unauthorised remote banking fraud.
NEVER CLICK ON A LINK, ALWAYS GO SEPARATELY TO YOUR ACCOUNT TO SEE IF ANY ACTIONS ARE REQUIRED
Tips and Advice
- Dear Who? – Unless a text is addressed to you personally it is very likely to be a fake. A genuine Lloyds text will include part of your name, account number or postcode
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are sharing it with, and certainly not PIN numbers!
- Check – You can always call your bank to check, Lloyds customer support number 0345 300 0000
- Report it! – Forward the text to 7726 to report the scam
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use their online fraud reporting tool
Never miss a Scam Alert – Sign-up here, it’s FREE