It’s never good to panic, but when both the National Security Agency and the United States Department of Homeland Security announce “critical” warnings about a problem with Microsoft Windows it’s worth paying attention. The problem is with older versions of Windows, simply put if you have Windows 8 or 10 on your system, you’re fine. If you’re using older versions of Windows including Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista or 7 then please read on. The vulnerability allows remote access to your system and the ability to install malware without asking you, the user, any permission. And if your PC is on a network with other PCs, even if they have newer versions of Windows, the malware can spread. Experts are suggesting this vulnerability could be as bad as the WannaCry attack in May 2017 which affected more than 200,000 computers and cost hundreds of millions of pounds.
ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED ALL THE LATEST MICROSOFT WINDOWS UPDATES
Tips and Advice
- Update, update update! – As it says above, it is essential that you have the latest Microsoft Windows updates. To find out if you are up to date, press the Windows logo key or click on the logo on screen, then click on “Control Panel”, then “System and Security”, then “Windows Update”, then “Check for Updates”
- Upgrade? – Users of older systems may want to consider upgrading to Windows 10, Microsoft don’t support Vista, XP or Windows 7 anymore and that will create vulnerabilities and although they have created updates this time there is no certainty that they will in the future
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you are worried about having given out financial details
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use theironline fraud reporting tool
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
Join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £24 a year for all the alerts and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors