Fake emails purporting to be from Netflix are circulating again claiming to have “suspended your membership due to being unable to validate you billing information”. The call to action is asking you to click on a verify now button and then put all your login and billing information on a fake page. Superficially the email and login page look good but there are some spelling errors and the super vigilant will notice the N of Netflix in the sender name has a strange bit at the bottom. This is just one of many fake Netflix phishing attempts that do the rounds and although some directly ask for information and others take you to a fake login page, their aim is the same, to steal personal information. More than 17 million UK adults will fall victim to such a crime this year.
NEVER CLICK, IF WORRIED GO INDEPENDENTLY TO YOUR NETFLIX ACCOUNT TO SEE IF THERE ARE ANY ISSUES
Tips and Advice
- To Who? – Check if the email is addressed personally to you, if not it’s probably a scam!
- Report it! – Report any suspicious emails to email@example.com
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you are worried about having given out financial details
- Already clicked? – Go to your Netflix account and change the password
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisors will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use their online fraud reporting tool
Never miss a Scam Alert – Sign-up here, it’s FREE