ActionFraud have had over 100 reports in the last month of a new council tax scam email, the new twist is that it is for a refund, suggesting that you have overpaid. The unsuspecting victims click on a link and are taken through to a pretty good fake government website to enter their personal details including their bank details for the refund.
It is simply a classic “phishing” scam where fraudsters look to harvest your personal details and gain access to your bank accounts. Earlier in the year fraudsters were running a similar scam by calling people to tell them about a refund. There are other council tax scams including the notice of no-payment in imminent arrival of bailiffs, the advice for all of them is the same. So please read on.
NEVER CLICK ON THE LINK IN AN EMAIL ASKING YOU TO GIVE PERSONAL DETAILS. CALL THE COUNCIL FROM A NUMBER THAT YOU GET INDEPENDENTLY TO THE EMAIL AND VERIFY THE SITUATION
Tips and Advice
- Call your council – to check, you can find the number by clicking here
- How’s the grammar? – Fraudsters’ messages are certainly showing signs of better grammar but a lot of them are still quite poor and its an obvious sign of a fake
- Real website link? – Even if a link looks credible always call the council first
- Report it – to ActionFraud
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – that you are a victim of, report it and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use theironline fraud reporting tool
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
Join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £18 a year for all the alerts and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors