A report by Trend Micro suggests that up to 70,000 Instagram accounts have been hacked with a very convincing new scam. It all starts with an email purporting to be from “Instagram” asking you to verify your account to earn a Verified Badge to add to your profile, once you click you are taken to a fake login page to enter your details. Once you’ve handed over your details the fraudsters are free to lock you out of your account, engage in whatever social engineering they fancy and in some case blackmail account holders using “sensitive” photos they may have found in the account. According to Risk IQ’s 2018 Q4 phishing report there was a 100% increase in social media phishing campaigns over the previous year.
NEVER CLICK ON THE LINK IN AN EMAIL ASKING YOU TO LOG ON TO YOUR ACCOUNT- ALWAYS GO INDEPENDENTLY TO THE WEBSITE AND LOG ON IN THE NORMAL WAY TO FIND OUT IF THERE ARE ANY REAL ISSUES
Tips and Advice
- Stay secure – Keep the 2-step authentication switched on with all your social media platforms
- How’s the grammar? – Fraudsters’ messages are certainly showing signs of better grammar but a lot of them are still quite poor and its an obvious sign of a fake
- Instagram never ask for – credentials, the only place social networks ask for them is in secure login pages
- Report it – If you receive a fake Instagram email or need help from them use this link
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use theironline fraud reporting tool
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
Join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £18 a year for all the alerts and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors