“Get your refund directly on your Credit/Debit card”. This is the latest HMRC scam email which is a good replica of a genuine HMRC email, do not click on the link, but if you did you would see a totally convincing replica of a gov.uk site which will take your personal details and card number. Our systems also detected that the site contains “Potentially Unwanted Programs”, that alter the security of your device. The HMRC have issued many official warnings about scams having seen a 360% increase in reports in the 6 months to January 2019.
IGNORE ANY HMRC EMAIL HIGHLIGHTING YOUR REFUND. THE HMRC WILL NEVER SEND NOTIFICATIONS BY EMAIL ABOUT TAX REBATES OR REFUNDS
Tips and Advice
- From who? – Although this email looked as if it came from an @hmrc.co.uk address if you click on the address you can see it is actually from a different address.
- Don’t click! – Never click on any links or attachment, it is much safer to go separately to your HMRC account and see if there any action items. If you look at this link you can see a long link ending enhero.com, that is highly unlikely to be an HMRC site!
- Don’t – be pressured into acting quickly, this is a ‘red flag’ and sign of a scam.
- Call them to check – the HMRC helpline is currently 0300 200 3300, have your National Insurance Number ready when you call.
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- Report – you can report suspicious emails claiming to be from HMRC to email@example.com and texts to 60599. Be sure to make a note of the date of the phone call, the phone number and the content of the phone call.
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use theironline fraud reporting tool
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
Join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £24 a year for all the alerts and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors