All of us are hoping not to receive a phone call from the NHS Test and Trace service and face having to deal with self-isolating and getting tested. That moment of the panic reaction when victims receive the call is being used by scammers making fake Test and Trace calls, they sound official, concerned and believable, right up to the moment they ask for a one-off £50 fee for a postal testing kit which requires you to give postal and bank details. Some even use the threat of a penalty charge for non-compliance. Action fraud estimate that there have been over 3,000 victims of this scam and average losses of, according to the Sun, £2,900.
TESTING AND RESULTS ARE FREE
Tips and Advice
- Hang up immediately – If anyone calls from Test and Trace and asks for payment
- Check online– If you are worried then checkout the government website
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are talking to
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you are worried about having given out financial details
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisors will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use their online fraud reporting tool.
Never miss a Scam Alert – Sign-up here, it’s FREE