Nintendo have admitted that 300,000 users accounts have been hacked. Any users whose account have been compromised could find their virtual coin balances, normally linked to PayPal, misused. Nintendo are contacting and are freezing effected accounts, however, given the estimate of those accounts has increased from 160,000 to 300,000 we advise all Nintendo Switch users to upgrade their security by following our advice below.
ENABLE 2-FACTOR AUTHENTICATION IMMEDIATELY TO KEEP YOUR ACCOUNT SAFE
Tips and Advice
- Change your Nintendo password – Unfortunately, most of us use the same password and that is too risky please watch the Reassura Guide to Strong Passwords It is thought that these accounts were compromised by using passwords from other breaches
- Regularly – check your bank, PayPal and credit card accounts for suspicious activity. If you find any contact the bank or credit card company immediately using the number on the back of the card
- Enable 2-factor authentication – on any online account where it is available. Although having to enter a code from a text message or email may be momentarily inconvenient it sure beats being scammed!
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisors will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use their online fraud reporting tool.
Never miss a Scam Alert – Sign-up here, it’s FREE