Following O2’s data network outage problems over Thursday and Friday the fraud industry has been working overtime to catch us all out. Let us start with the facts, O2 customers will be compensated for 2 days outage but no action is required to claim this, it will be automatically credited to their accounts.
However there are numerous social media posts, text messages and emails in circulation instructing people to call certain telephone numbers, click on links, give personal details and even contact tech support for remote assistance. Please ignore them all. Ultimately these are all phishing, smishing and vishing attempts which in the UK, according to ActionFraud in 2017, cost the average victim £600.
NEVER REPLY TO AN EMAIL/TEXT WHICH DOES NOT ADRESS YOU PERSONALLY BY NAME
Tips and Advice
- Personal data is the new gold! – At Reassura we are constantly advising members to keep their personal details private and as such we dislike anything involving giving your personal data which is not “essential”.
- Don’t Click – on any link in an email that you are not 100% sure is genuine, always go independently to their website and log in to execute any action.
- Don’t – be pressured into acting quickly, this is a ‘red flag’ and sign of a scam.
- Keep safe – Never give your Pin, passwords or banking codes to anyone requesting them.
- Keep control – Do not allow remote access to your PC to anyone that you have not initiated contact with, anyone contacting you should be considered suspicious
- Safe Devices? – Make sure your anti-virus software is switched on and up to date on your PC or Android phone.
- Contact your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details.
- If it’s too good to be true – This is one of Reassura’s Golden Rules and it ends with “Then it isn’t”.
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
Still Unsure? – Call Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe.
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
For further information or for advice and assistance regarding any potential scam, call Reassura on 0800 888 6400