One of our Directors has been hit by those annoying pop-ups whenever he is browsing on his phone. The first thing to say is that this is a fake and that there sadly is no £1000 gift card waiting once you have given over your personal details.
What is interesting about this scam is that the developers are making their money in 2 ways. Firstly, the popup is adware which has slipped under your radar by being bundled in with some other software that you downloaded, as such the developers are paid on a “per-click” basis by the fraudsters, then the developers are paid again for any personal information harvested by their fake site.
These pop-ups are increasingly common, and it should be noted also that they effect Apple devices. Please read on how to stay safe and remove these parasites.
IGNORE ALL POP-UPS TELLING YOU THAT YOU HAVE WON SOMETHING – YOU HAVEN’T!
Tips and Advice
- Who is it from? – Not that it really matters as you must ignore all of these, but it should be noted that this claims to be from the National Consumer Center, but the web link is to the National Consumers Center, also in the UK we spell it “centre”
- Can I just close my browser and start again? – Yes, but this can become annoying every time it pops up
- Spot the scam – If the deal looks too good to be true, it’s a scam.
- How to remove the adware – Malwarebytes has one of the most advanced adware cleaners and has a free as well as a paid for service, click here to read full instructions on how to remove such unwanted software
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are sharing it with
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use theironline fraud reporting tool
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
Join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £18 a year for all the alerts and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors