Your child probably is a superstar, but fraudsters have long been cashing in on our instinct to support our children. The cruel scam which has started circulating again is the one where aspiring young footballers are invited to join top clubs on trial for a fee. In the past fraudsters have posed as agents for Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester City among others. Middlesbrough FC had to issue a statement warning player of the scam this week. Typically, players are asked for £500 and then up to £2500 more for travel. The trial never happens, the money has disappeared, as have the dreams.
“ANY COMMUNICATION REGARDING THE ARRANGEMENT OF A TRIAL WITH MFC IN RETURN FOR PAYMENT IS FRAUDULENT”. Middlesbrough FC Statement 14/1/19
Tips and Advice
- Payment required? – As shown by the statement above, clubs will not charge for a trial, if someone tries it’s a scam
- Who to trust? – You can check to see if the person is registered with the FA by checking their registered intermediary list. It should be noted that some fraudsters use the names of registered agents and so if in any doubt contact the FA’S Intermediaries Helpline to make
- Spot the scam – If the deal looks too good to be true, it’s a scam.
- Time pressure? – Fraudsters commonly use time pressure as a tactic to push you into making the wrong decision, if someone starts doing this is often the sign of a scam
- Report it – if you come across such a scam please report it to your local Police and the FA
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura or 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use their online fraud reporting tool.
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
Join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £18 a year for all the alerts and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors