Fraudsters prey on our emotions and love to make us panic into the wrong decision. Receiving a phone call or a knock on the door from someone pointing out the dead rats in your garden is sadly a great way to get victims to pay for immediate “special price” help from an exterminator. Of course, these people don’t have a rat problem and the fraudsters have put the dead rats there in the first place and it’s all just a scam to get victims to pay for something which they don’t need and is not properly done. Doorstep crimes still make up 5% of all fraud crimes reported, however more worrying is the fact that 85% of victims are over 65.
DO NOT BUY ANY GOODS OR SERVICES FROM A DOOR STEP SELLER/CALLER HOWEVER URGENT THEY CLAIM THAT YOUR NEED IS
Tips and Advice
- Identity? – Always check any caller’s identification and feel free to call the organization that they represent to check, find the number
- Entry? – Only allow expected visitors into your house
- Door chain – Make sure you have and use a door chain to stay safe
- Urgent! – Fraudsters commonly use time pressure as a tactic to push you into making the wrong decision, if someone starts doing this is often the sign of a scam
- No Cold Callers – signs on your front door are a good idea, Reassura members can call us and to receive such a sticker.
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are talking to
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- Still Unsure? – Call Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
For further information or for advice and assistance regarding any potential scam, call Reassura on 0800 888 6400