Fraudsters have launched another large-scale text campaign claiming to be the Royal Mail and that recipients need to pay a £2 “unpaid shipping fee”. Those foolhardy enough to click on the link are then taken to a very authentic looking fake site and asked for a lot of personal data. Giving away your personal details is todays equivalent of going on holiday and leaving the front door open. This scam is very well executed and needs to be carefully avoided.
IGNORE THE TEXT AND DEFINITELY DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK
Tips and Advice
- Spot the scam – avoid clicking on the email or links embedded within unexpected texts, unless you are 100% sure its genuine. Fraudsters are professional phishers!
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are sharing it with
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- Report spam texts – by texting CALL to 7726 and they will respond with some questions for details
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Call Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
Never miss a Scam Alert – Sign-up here, it’s FREE