As Black Friday approaches and Christmas shopping really get going the amount of people caught out by fraudulent use of their Amazon account is multiplying. Fraudsters log in to Amazon with your email address and password, usually gained from a fake link to update personal details etc. Once in they buy large ticket items and often as a hidden purchase so that you do not receive a confirmation. Getting your money back can take a long time and it is vital that you approach this as detailed below. Some victims have had amounts of up to £3,000 taken and it has taken weeks or months to get the money back.
CHECK YOUR STATEMENTS REGULARLY AND IF THERE ARE ANY TRANSACTIONS THAT YOU DO NOT RECOGNIZE FOLLOW THE PROCEEDURE DESCRIBED BELOW
Tips and Advice
- Credit Cards – are best for protection when you are shopping online.
- Don’t Click – on any links to update your details unless you are 100% sure that the request is genuine, nb 99% are not! Fraudsters main route into your accounts is by information gained by phishing. See our guide
- Check – your statements regularly, if there any suspicious transactions act immediately and exactly follow this procedure:
- Call Amazon on 0800 279 7234 to report the fraudulent transactions
- Call your bank BUT do not use the word fraud but tell them that you “wish to dispute the transaction as you did not authorise it and you want to reverse the payment”
- If you used a credit card, ask for “a refund under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act”, again as you did not authorise the payment
- If you used a debit card, ask the bank to refund the money using the “chargeback rules”, (there is a limit of 120 days after purchase on chargeback).
- Once you have requested for the payments to be reversed, then you can discuss with your bank or credit card provider that you are worried about your details being in the wrong hands.
- Change – your Amazon password
- Read more – Excellent article by This is Money
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
For further information or for advice and assistance regarding any potential scam, call Reassura on 0800 888 6400