Just like the dandelions which pop up in my lawn every spring the fraudsters concoct a new version of the TV licensing scam every season. The new one looks very professional and is only chasing £11.95, however it is the usual nasty attempt to get your personal data and financial details and will cost you a lot more than that! The link takes you to a very near copy of the real website and asks for a lengthy list of personal data and credit/ban card numbers. There have been over a 1000 reports of theses scams to ActionFraud this year and given the high level of underreporting we estimate the number of cases to be over 20,000.
DO NOT RESPOND TO ANY REQUEST TO UPDATE YOUR TV LICENSING INFORMATION OR MAKE A PAYMENT
Tips and Advice
- Dear who? – The TV licencing department will address you by name. Dear Sir/Madam is a sign of a scam
- Spot the scam – avoid clicking on the email or links embedded within unexpected emails. Unless you are 100% sure that TV Licensing are supposed to contact you. Fraudsters are professional phishers!
- Check the email address – it should be donotreplytvlicensing.co.uk. Changes to characters, symbols are a sign of an illegitimate email
- URL check – hover over the link to see the URL text. The genuine site is https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk anything else is a scam. Go to the site, but not by using the link, and update your account if necessary
- No direct Debit? – If you don’t have a direct debit set up with TV Licencing, they will not contact you via email to ask for personal information in this way
- Pressure – you might read in the email that your TV viewing is at risk of being disconnected if you don’t submit the information now. Genuine TV Licencing correspondence would not resort to urgency tactics
- Protect yourself – Use your spam filter. If you suspect a phishing email, send it to your spam folder. This helps to prevent unwanted emails landing in your inbox
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you have to, the first phase of fraudsters attack from streaming is by getting you to fill in online forms to steal your personal information
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- Still Unsure? – Call Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
Join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £24 a year for all the alerts and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors