September saw a lot scam TV License refund emails hitting members inboxes looking to mine their personal data, this month we are seeing a different scam informing recipients that their billing information is out of date and the need to click on a link to update. The link takes you to a very near copy of the real website and asks for a lengthy list of personal data and credit/bank card numbers. It must be noted the fake website is one of the best we have seen and reminds us all to be vigilant.
DO NOT RESPOND TO ANY REQUEST TO UPDATE YOUR TV LICENSING INFORMATION
Tips and Advice
- Dear who? – The TV licencing department will address you by name. Dear Sir/Madam is a sign of a scam
- Spot the scam – avoid clicking on the email or links embedded within unexpected emails. Unless you are 100% sure that TV Licensing are supposed to contact you. Fraudsters are professional phishers!
- Check the email address – it should be donotreplytvlicensing.co.uk. Changes to characters, symbols are a sign of an illegitimate email
- URL check – hover over the link to see the URL text. The genuine site is https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk anything else is a scam. Go to the site, but not by using the link, and update your account if necessary
- No direct Debit? – If you don’t have a direct debit set up with TV Licencing, they will not contact you via email to ask for personal information in this way
- Pressure – you might read in the email that your TV viewing is at risk of being disconnected if you don’t submit the information now. Genuine TV Licencing correspondence would not resort to urgency tactics
- Protect yourself – Use your spam filter. If you suspect a phishing email, send it to your spam folder. This helps to prevent unwanted emails landing in your inbox
- Is it too late? You’ve unknowingly entered your details. Fast action is important! Contact your bank or credit card company alert them of the situation
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
For further information or for advice and assistance regarding any potential scam, call Reassura on 0800 888 6400