In the last couple of weeks, we have been receiving an alarming increase in reports of scam tradesmen providing subpar work at over inflated prices. “Driveway Repair” and “Heating Engineers” are the leading categories that we’re seeing complaints in. With driveway repair the victims are approached by passing builders and offered repair services. Quite often they have been quite isolated and almost intimidated into paying for shoddy repairs. With heating engineers, the problems have been more based around dishonest pricing tactics. These scams highlight the reality that we are all still at risk from old fashioned scams as well as all the threats online. However, follow our tips and stay safe.
NEVER BUY ANY GOODS OR SERVICES FROM A COLD CALL, ITS NOT WORTH THE RISK!
Tips and Advice
- Follow the crowd – when you need your boiler servicing or some building works use a website to find a local well reviewed tradesman, both checkatrade and trustatrader work well
- Check ID – It is particularly important when having your boiler repaired that you check that the tradesman is a member of their professional body, ask to see their official ID badge
- Multiple quotes – are key when getting any work done, ask several tradesmen for written quotes for the same work
- Too good to be true? – It’s a scam!
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use theironline fraud reporting tool , also call your local Trading Standards Office so that they are aware of the traders concerned
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
Join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £24 a year for all the alerts and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors