There’s a new virus in town. Well, to be more accurate there is a nasty new way of infecting Windows PCs with malware that can be used to steal passwords, install cryptocurrency miners, and deliver trojan malware. Researchers at Bitdefender have discovered this new nasty which they have called Mosiaicloader, it is special because it is delivered by advertising. Those adverts that you see at the top of search results are the area to be wary of. Adverts for software are made to look super realistic and curiously enough may require the installer to turn-off protections to install the download. Sadly, this new technique will become more common and users will need to increase their vigilance about where or what they are downloading.
NEVER TURN OFF YOUR PC SECURITY TO INSTALL A NEW DOWNLOAD
Tips and Advice
- Check your PC– As well as your normal security use the Malwarebytes free scan every few months to check for nasties
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are sharing it with, and certainly not PIN numbers!
- Be super vigilant – If you click on an advert
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisors will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use their online fraud reporting tool
Never miss a Scam Alert – Sign-up here, it’s FREE