This email scam has been around for a while but Reassura have been getting an increasing number of calls from members receiving an email including one of their passwords and telling them that their PC and contacts have been hacked, malware installed, the PC camera has recorded them watching pornography and the sender will distribute this video to all their contacts unless a payment is made. Its quite a terrifying message to receive, particularly as it often includes one of your passwords, there have been victims who have paid even though they have never visited a porn site but wanted to avoid any embarrassment. It’s a particularly nasty scam because it combines personal information and embarrassment, but it is a scam and must be ignored.
IF YOU RECEIVE THIS EMAIL, JUST DELETE IT AND DO NOT WORRY
Tips and Advice
- How did they get my password? – Unfortunately, there have been so many big data breaches over the last 2 years there are now a lot of old passwords available on the dark web
- Has malware been installed? – Almost certainly not, however read this article from PC World if you want to make 100% sure
- Do I need to change my passwords? – It is important to remember that this email is an automated attack, i.e. it is sent out to multiple people from a list, it may feel personal, but it isn’t. However, if this is one of your most used passwords it is worth changing it. See next point
- Strong & Safe Passwords – are essential and not ever to be given over the phone, email, text etc, only for use on the official site
- What is a strong password? – Read our guide to good strong passwords
- Still unsure. Call Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our Fraud Advisor’s will support you to avoid being a victim of a social media Fraud
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
For further information or for advice and assistance regarding any potential scam, call Reassura on 0800 888 6400