Sadly, fraudsters don’t take time off in the Summer and so while we may relax in a lot of ways, we must stay vigilant to fraud threats. Some of the tips below are specific to Summer but most are year-round and always to be kept in mind.
- All up to date? – No, not with Love Island but with all updates for your devices, PC/phone etc. and key software/apps. As soon as Google or Facebook find that they have a weakness they put together a safety patch which they roll out in the form of updates. Similarly, key software such as your anti-virus, needs updates to stay ahead of all the recent threats
- Antivirus software – Actually, these days it’s really antimalware software. It is essential for all Windows devices, (PC’s/tablets/Android phones) that protection is installed and switched on. Unfortunately, most of us will be fooled into clicking on a link this Summer that we shouldn’t, its your antivirus software which will most often block the site and keep you safe. Apple devices are less vulnerable, but not invincible so stay vigilant!
- Looking for a good holiday deal online? – Please read the Reassura Guide to Holiday Fraud which will help you book both flights and accommodation safely online and make sure that you’re great deal is not too good to be true!
- Strong Passwords are the new Yale locks – Even some of the most security conscious people we know insist on using the same obvious password for multiple accounts. Read the Reassura Guide to Strong Passwords to do better. And, I must admit that having checked my favourite password on a website which monitors stolen passwords I was shocked to discover that my password had been seen 15 times in the wrong places!
- Keep learning and sharing – The best way to stay safe is to stay informed and keep talking to friends and family about frauds and scams. The more we learn and share the safer we will all be.
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
Join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £24 a year for all the alerts and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors