Another classic old scam has been polished up and rolled out again to try and steal our money and personal information. It starts with a text message informing that there is a package at Tesco due to winning 3rd place in a draw, just click on a link to confirm.
Those who click, (NB NEVER CLICK), then are taken to a very realistic fake Tesco page asked some basic survey questions before being awarded your phone, after a couple more clicks you are taken to another professional looking page and simply need to pay £1, by giving your credit card details and lots of other personal information to receive a new mobile. What ‘s noticeable about this scam is how high quality the fake pages are and the little touches to convince you it’s the real deal.
Around 1.5 million new phishing sites are created each month and 30% of phishing messages are opened by those targeted.
DON’T CLICK ON A LINK ATTACHED TO A SURPRISE TEXT
Tips and Advice
- Spot the scam – If the deal looks too good to be true, it’s a scam
- Keep safe – Ensure that you have anti-virus protection, that it’s up to date and switched on. Our anti-virus software flagged the site as “Highly Risky”
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are communicating with
- Report it – to Tesco call 0800 505555
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- Still Unsure? – Call Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use theironline fraud reporting tool
Never miss a Scam Alert – Sign-up here, it’s FREE