Text Message Scams: Tesco Text Scam Alert
Previous Tesco scams have tended to be fake voucher cons looking for personal data; this new one is a little scarier. You receive a text from “Tesco” congratulating three shoppers by first name and their car registration numbers with an instruction to click on a link to confirm. It’s still a data farming con, but the fact they have your name mobile number and car registration is a little shocking. Unfortunately, this probably due to one or other of the significant data breaches that have occurred in the last few years. Research by Norton has shown over 17 million cybercrimes like this happen every year in the UK.
IGNORE THE TEXT AND DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK
Tips and Advice
- Don’t Click – on any link in an email or text that you are not 100% sure is genuine, always go independently to their website and log in to execute any action.
- The real deal? – Check online to see if such competition exists; it won’t!
- If it’s too good to be true – then it isn’t! It’s a scam
- Don’t – be pressured into acting quickly; this is a ‘red flag’ and sign of fraud.
- Keep safe – never give your Pin, passwords or banking codes to anyone requesting them.
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you have full confidence in the caller and the business they represent.
- Report it! – If you receive such a message report it to Tesco by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details.
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400, and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use their online fraud reporting tool.
Protect yourself from scams and join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £18 a year for all the warnings and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors
Reassura continues to help raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.