One of our team received a delivery this morning, the box contained two pairs of fake Ray Bans and a pair of fake Gucci sunglasses, the package was sent from China and he hadn’t ordered them. At first you might think that being sent stuff for free is a good thing, but actually we need to watch out. This scam is called “brushing”, Chinese companies do it to inflate their sales and so move up the rankings on retailer websites. They also then write fake reviews in your name to boost their review scores. The scary thing for the receiver is that it does suggest that their personal details have been compromised and they must be vigilant of identity theft. Forbes magazine has put the cost of identity theft worldwide between 2011 – 2017 at a staggering £92 billion.
CHECK THAT YOUR IDENTITY IS SECURE AND IF YOU CAN LEGALLY USE THE PRODUCT
Tips and Advice
- Can I use it? – Legally in the UK you can use the products if they have been sent to you and you have had no relationship with the sender, if you ordered an Apple charging cable and they sent you an iPad, Apple can insist that you return the iPad
- Are the goods safe? – Probably not. Most items sent in brushing scams are low quality and unfit for purpose
- Check – your statements regularly, if there any suspicious transactions get in touch with your bank asap
- Report it – If you receive an unordered Amazon package, check your account and contact Amazon Customer Service on 0800 279 7234
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use theironline fraud reporting tool
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
Join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £24 a year for all the alerts and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors