Fraudsters are calling people claiming to be from Vodafone and asking for personal information, including bank details. It’s a basic scam which gets rolled out every few months but always snares a lot of victims. Vodafone will never ask for bank details over the phone. This type of fraud is called vishing, where criminals use the telephone to attempt to steal personal information. Security experts Mimecast believe vishing attacks could become a daily occurrence this year, particularly via voicemail.
IF VODAFONE CALL, HANG UP AND CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE ON 0808 040 8408
Tips and Advice
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you are certain who you are sharing it with, and certainly not PIN numbers!
- Is it Vodafone calling? – Check using their number look-up tool
- Report spam texts – by texting CALL to 7726 and they will respond with some questions for details
- Check your bank account – Regularly check your accounts to make sure there are no rogue transactions
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisors will help you to stay safe
Never miss a Scam Alert – Sign-up here, it’s FREE