Fraudsters are busy trying to trick the unwary into paying a fee to reduce their council tax or business rates. It all starts with a professional sounding call from a company claiming to be working with the local council and/or the Government’s Valuation Office Agency. In the case of the business rates scam they even tell you how much is being paid and that they can get it reduced. The fraudsters in many cases point you towards their websites, we’ve looked at a few and they are quite convincing. All you need to do is make a payment and, well lose the money and control of your financial details. Action Fraud are receiving more than 100 reports a week of council/business rate tax frauds.
IGNORE ANY CONTACT FROM ANYONE ABOUT A COUNCIL TAX ASSESSMENT OR BUSINESS RATE REFUNDS
Tips and Advice
- Call your council – to check, you can find the number by clicking here
- How’s the grammar? – Fraudsters’ messages are certainly showing signs of better grammar but a lot of them are still quite poor and its an obvious sign of a fake
- Real website link? – Even if a link looks credible always call the council first
- Report it – to ActionFraud
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400 and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – that you are a victim of, report it and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use theironline fraud reporting tool
Reassura is dedicated to helping raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.
Join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £24 a year for all the alerts and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors